I’m a principal research scientist at the MITRE Corporation, a not-for-profit R&D center, where I study applications of artificial intelligence, deep learning, and natural language processing to solve problems in the public interest. I live in Denver, CO.
Our group is hiring! If you’re interested in a research career working towards the advancement of beneficial artificial intelligence, please reach out.
Some aspects of our work in recent years include:
- online adaptation of neural networks using attention and external memory
- transfer learning from monolingual data to improve neural machine translation
- detection of astroturf, information campaigns, and influential stories on Twitter
- ultra low power intelligent sensors and neural networks on mobile devices
- generalized language understanding tools in all the worlds’ languages
Occasionally Updated News & Links:
- 2017/11: The CFP for the 2018 Telluride workshop is out: “Embodied Perception & Cognition”
- 2017/10: Looking forward to upcoming talks at Georgetown (Nov 8) and the Ann Arbor Deep Learning Event (Nov 18)
- 2017/04: I’ll be at the 2017 Telluride Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering workshop with the Autonomous Agents in Unknown Environments group; interested students see link to apply
- 2017/02: DEEPLANG ranked 3rd of 31 teams’ crosslingual semantic textual similarity systems (genre: image captions); Simple Semantic Similarity paper to be presented this summer
- 2016/12: Heading to NIPS 2016 with three from our team, reach out in Barcelona to talk about monolingual data in NMT or spiking nets!
- 2016/10: I’ll speak about tuning neural machine translation at AMTA in Austin
- 2016/08: Headed to Berlin: ACL & Conference on Machine Translation (WMT)
- 2016/04: Upcoming conferences & workshops: ICLR, NAACL, and the IBM TrueNorth BootCamp reunion
- 2016/03: Jenni Nettik & I won the first round of a challenge to invent a technology that helps low-income kids learn language! Word Gap Challenge winners.
- 2016/02: We took 1st place in SemEval 2016 Task 6: Detecting Stance in Tweets!
- 2015/10: Upcoming conferences & workshops: Dublin for Deep Learning for Machine Translation, Montreal for NIPS 2015
- 2015/10: I’m giving a talk at Johns Hopkins CLSP Seminar on Oct. 6
- 2015/09: A new article about our DEEPLANG team was just posted
- 2015/09: I’ll be speaking at the USC/ISI NL Seminar on Sept. 11
- 2015/06: Our Telluride Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering Workshop on NLP runs from June 28 – July 18. Students interested in participating, see link for details.
- 2015/06: Come see my talk at NAACL / SemEval: June 4 at 10:15
- 2015/01: Proud of our team! We took 1st place in SemEval 2015 Task 1: Semantic Similarity in Twitter
And sometimes, when I do things right, Alyssa Milano tweets about our work:
You Can't Keep Your Secrets From Twitter☛ http://bit.ly/pxQZZr /via @fastcompany
— Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) July 27, 2011